It’s that time of the week again for Fred’s Friday Favourites. It has been a busy week on Historypin with some great content going up, especially from the Atlanta History Center and the Hagley Museum and Library.
Pinner Of The Week though has to go to the Palace of the Governors Archive which has been pinning amazing photos ‘covering the history and the people’ of New Mexico from 1850 to the present. There have been some fantastic photos of Native Americans, Spanish colonialists and early explorers. Many of the photos pinned this week have been about the Palace of the Governors and the surrounding area. The Palace is oldest continually occupied building in the USA and was built in 1618. It was then the seat of Government for the State of New Mexico for centuries, before becoming the seat of the state archives and museum. Check their fantastic Channel out here
Story Of The Week comes from The Atlanta History Center. The story is of Charles Lindburgh pictured from Candler Air Field which is now Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Charles Augustus Lindbergh (1902-1974) was an American Aviator and was the first in the world fly non-stop across the Atlantic Ocean on May 20th-21st, 1927. Although other pilots had crossed the Atlantic before him, Charles was the first to make the trip non-stop and alone! See the photo pinned here.
Pin Of The Week has been uploaded by the Occidental College Archives. As the Olympics are almost upon us, here is an Olympic-themed Pin of Visitors mingling in front of the administration building inside the Olympic Village at the Coliseum during the 1932 Olympic Games hosted in Los Angeles. This Olympic village was the first specially-built for the Games, and led the way for the Olympic Villages of the future. Check out the picture on Historypin here.
Today is Euston Station’s 175th Anniversary, the UK’s first Inner City railway station. It was built by the Classically-trained architect Philip Hardwick and opened on April 20th, 1837. In 1961/2 amid a huge public outcry the station, along with Euston Arch, were demolished and a new building was built in its place in the Modern International style. Many people thought the Arch would be saved as this had been implied before the development started. However, Harold Macmillan’s government decided it was too expensive to relocate and finally gave permission for its demolition. The move has been compared to the destruction of Penn Station in New York in 1963, as both projects are thought to have hugely influenced the subsequent conservation movement in the UK and the US.
The new station has been described as ‘hideous’ and ‘concocted to induce maximum angst among passengers’. Recently, a redesign has been announced with proposals to rebuild the old Euston Arch, which was found to have been mostly discarded in an East London River. It also later emerged that Frank Velori, who had been commissioned to demolish the Arch, had used some of the stones to build his own house. Here is a link to the picture below where you can see more pics of the Old Euston Station.