People’s History of Pop
September 2015 – Sept 2016
Funder: BBC Music
TV production company 7Wonder wanted to film a documentary that told the history of British Rock and Pop Music from the fifties to the noughties through the eyes of the fans. They wanted to create a crowdsourced, community archive of memories and memorabilia which would provide the source material and interviewees for the documentary and create an evolving community archive of British rock and pop music.
BBC Music invited it’s community to contribute their memories, photos and memorabilia of British rock and pop music to the People’s History of Pop. So far thousands of things have been added and many will be featured in the four-part documentary due to air in 2016.
Explore musical memories from around the UK, shared on BBC Local Radio.
Read the blog.
What was created?
- A collection on Historypin which currently so far has 3,000 contributions
- Community collection events with retired staff at EMI and music fans at the BBC Music Festival
- A four part TV documentary that screened on BBC Four
WHAT DID WE DO?
Local Community Engagement
- Delivered community engagement events to gather, digitise and collect photos and stories
Design & Digital
- Designed the creative identity
- Built a custom showcase website (www.phop.co.uk) to allow editorial control (eg. feature content, highlight social media, post blogs)
- Built a custom collection with a unique design, theme and partnership branding
- Built and integrated custom features, including browse by theme and decade